Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Evenings at the Ellington

A few Fridays ago, I headed to the Ellington Jazz Club in Mt Lawley for a slightly unconventional evening out with the girls. Not going to lie - I was a bit hesitant and dubious as to how much I would enjoy the night, but it was definitely a fantastic evening.



We booked a table at $20 each (usually $15, but more on a Friday and Saturday night) - it's recommended that you book for weekend showings. It was a great opportunity to get dressed up (sadly, no photos as I was rushing to get ready from work!) and have some drinks while listening to some (surprisingly) enjoyable and upbeat music. When we entered, we were shown to a gorgeous little corner table where we could see the stage but still be hidden a way while we shared some (whispered) gossip. The food was outstanding (as well as reasonably priced) and a friend and I shared a plate of "deconstructed nachos" as well as bread and a trio of dip.


We were indulged with the great sounds of the James Flynn Quartet and Carl Mackey, which we enjoyed while sipping on hot chocolates and ciders. The singer of the Quarter noticed us (we were a bit younger than the average audience member!) and asked what we were up to. After one of the girls replied "sharing some hot chocolates!" we were known as the "Hot Chocolate Girls" and brought up several times throughout the show, including in some edited song lyrics.


I would really recommend a night out at the Ellington if you're into music, good food, and a night that lets you be home, in bed, by 11 (or lets you head out straight after…)

Have you had an unexpectedly fantastic night out?

No comments:

Post a Comment