Tuesday, 27 May 2014

The Playlist #1

Hi everyone

Something about summer really gets me into new music - road trips, having so much more free time to find new music, as well as receiving iTunes vouchers for Christmas and my birthday are probably why! These are my favourite songs of the second (and it's no coincidence that some of them are from the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show… I watched it on the plane and loved it!)

1. The Phoenix, Fall Out Boy
Such a great song for singing along to in the car. My favourite line from the song? "You know time crawls on when you're waiting for the song to start, so dance alone to the beat of your heart." A great song to remind you to "seize the day" and live with passion! Much more of a rock song than I usually listen to, but for when I feel like singing at the top of my longs and dancing alone in my room (either to this song, or my heartbeat), The Phoenix is perfect.

2. Say Something, A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera
A beautifully sad song that sums up what it feels like to give everything you have to someone, and not have it returned. Relatable for those who have had this happen to them, both with partners, and good friends. Sometimes we only realise how special something was when looking back on it, and I think this song is a good example of that. "I'm still learning to love, just starting to crawl…"

3. Laura Palmer, Bastille
I swear I like this song more because of the name... Laura Palmer was released by Bastille on their debut solo album Bad Blood last year, and shares the same name as the character Laura Palmer in the 90s TV show, Twin Peaks, whose body is found in the first episode of the series. In all honesty, I didn't realise what this song was about until my sister mentioned in passing it was about someone dying, and I then Googled it. Murder aside, Laura Palmer's beat and explosive chorus would make it a great contemporary dance song, and, regardless of your dancing talents (or there lack of), the perfect song to belt out.

4. Hard Out Here, Lily Allen
Girl power! I've always been a fan of Lily Allen, but this (fairly) recent release of hers has reminded me exactly why I love her so much. An honest (if not a little TOO honest), catchy and relevant song, I've been really enjoying singing along to this. It's rare for an artist to attack sexism in the industry through this medium, but I think it sends an important message: females shouldn't have to objectify themselves to be popular. The video clip is hilarious as well: a parody of the "sexy" music videos that are becoming increasingly popular, and, as shown in this music video, increasingly ridiculous.

So there you go! My favourite songs of the moment. What have you been listening to lately?

Laura xx

No comments:

Post a Comment